Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 3... and first day of classes.

You know what I miss? Washcloths. They don't exist here.

This morning started off (POURING) sort of early. A couple of my roommates and I went to a nearby cafe for drinks. Cafes, first of all, are all over the place. You can literally find one at every block if you tried hard enough. Same with pizzerias. You can also stand at cafes. If you sit, there's something called a "tavola fee" - meaning, if you have to sit down somewhere, you'll get charged. On the bright side, it's in place of a tip.

It's so nice being in a touristey area, because since we all forget most of our Italian, it's hard to order and, in return, it's hard for them to understand what we're trying to say when we sound like bumbling fools. I'm sure once we start remembering things, it will be much easier. And people won't look at us funny.

Really though, I feel like we walk around with a huge sign on our foreheads that says "AMERICAN." Just saying.

We started our classes today. Conversation and the next level in Italian. Talk about diving into the culture head first.

My roommates and I also made dinner for the first time. Call me a sheltered American, but gas stoves are a pain in the butt. But after messing with it for half an hour we got it to work and I made linguine with marinara. Nomnomnomnom.

Recycling is a pain in the butt too. There are four different colored bags, each one recycles something. One's for food, one's for paper, etc. And each one gets taken a different day of the week. It's actually quite interesting.

Alas, I must go. Not sure when I'll post again - I don't know if anything is going on until Friday (unless, that is, it's something spontaneous). Friday we are taking a day trip to a place called Ostia Antica, an ancient Roman port town. Should be fantastic (and of course, an opportunity for me to take a bagillion pictures). Saturday a group of us may possibly go to Ostia's beach, but I personally would rather not bring my camera. I'll be really pumped to dip my feet into the Mediterranean though.

Hope all is well with you, America. I miss you and your chicken nuggets. And your washcloths.

No comments:

Post a Comment