Monday, June 4, 2012

Real World: Rome edition

Honestly.

I feel like I'm on an episode of the Real World. 20 kids who didn't really know each other that well thrown together for 6 weeks straight. And even though we all don't live in the same apartment (thank GOODNESS) the apartments are still 4-6 people.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way...

Hi. I feel like I haven't posted in a really long time. And since I am unable to get to sleep right now (and I have to get up in... 5 and a half hours?) I figure now can be the best time to give an update on my life.

I have come to the realization that I would never be able to live here. As much as I would love to come back to visit the bagillion churches and monuments that I probably won't get the chance to see, I really don't see myself ever living here. I miss hot showers wayyyy too much.

I know, I'm a spoiled American. #firstworldproblems

I went to the coast this weekend. Note to my lovely readers: if you EVER study abroad in Europe, which I highly suggest you do, DON'T go on a trip through Bus2Alps. It was probably the worst service I have ever received.

Don't get me wrong - I loved being at the beach all weekend long, and I got to see Pompeii which made my little Humanities nerd freak out a little. But when the "dude" who is supposed to be your tour guide is flirting with all the girls on the trip, pre-gaming in a restaurant before taking the entire group to a bar (and Italians really don't appreciate sloppy American drunks... not that that stopped half the kids on this trip), and giving terrible directions to places that really don't even exist or telling people that the area is safe and hearing about your friends almost getting abducted, that is not the kind of tour I would like to be on.

I realize that was an incredibly long sentence. I don't care.

Dan the Douchebag (as we affectionately called him) didn't ruin the trip for us by doing what he did, but he definitely put a damper on it. I saw no amount of professionalism about him and the other guides weren't a whole lot better.

On the bright side, I got a sweet tan from staying at the beach for 2 days in a row.

Yes, I realize now that was a pun. It was not intended.

But I had some good food too. And swimming in a cave was pretty freaking sweet. I saw and did things this weekend that I probably won't do ever again, or for a really really long time. Like dipping my feet in the Meditteranean and taking boat tours of beautiful islands.

Awwww, si.

So yeah, overall good experience with some Bus2Alps bumps along the way. I'd go back to the beach but definitely not through them.

I'm going to the Villa Borghese tomorrow, which is basically Rome's version of Central Park in NYC. Apparently we're going to some museum that has all these awesome Bernini sculptures and famous paintings and other things that I didn't really know existed. I mean, I knew they did... just not there.

To be honest, I only thought the Villa Borghese was a huge park with a zoo in it. My bad, I guess.

But yeah, it should be awesome. This weekend is still in question, but I definitely plan on visiting some places and possibly exploring by myself. You'd be surprised how much you need a break from the 18 other people you know on the trip. Even though most of them are leaving to go to Paris. #jealousface

I'll post some other random stories when it isn't late at night. Staying up this late is probably a very bad idea, and I'm sure I will feel it tomorrow morning when I'm crawling to the kitchen to make myself some cappuccino...

Good night. Good evening. Good morning. Whatever time it is when you read this.

1 comment: